It’s crispy. It’s crunchy. It’s sweet & spicy. It’s my famous hot honey BANGIN’ crunchy cornflake chicken. I started making this hot honey baked chicken last year and Tony and I fell in love. The cornflake coating is perfectly seasoned and gets deliciously crunchy and golden brown on the outside, while the chicken stays nice and juicy on the inside.
After so many of you fell in love with my crispy baked chicken nuggets a few years back I knew I wanted to make a new, better-than-takeout cornflake chicken recipe, and this is IT. The super easy homemade hot honey takes this chicken to the next level, so get it ready to drizzle and dip to your heart’s desire.
I’ve included plenty of tips, tricks, and delicious side dishes to pair with it for the perfect dinner any night of the week. Time to grab a box of cornflakes and get this chicken on your table ASAP!
Everything you’ll need to make this cornflakes baked chicken
This delicious hot honey baked chicken recipe has 3 basic components, which make it super easy to make but oh-so-delicious. Here’s what you’ll need:
- For the cornflake coating: you’ll need cornflakes and some yummy spices like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- For the chicken: you’ll also need eggs, milk, and boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- For the hot honey: my homemade hot honey is made with just regular honey and your fav hot sauce!
Can I use a different type of chicken?
Yes, you can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenders, but please note that the cooking time will be different. Be sure the internal temp reaches 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
Customize your chickens
There are a few simple ways to customize the ingredients in this cornflake baked chicken recipe:
- To make it gluten free: simply use a certified gluten free cornflake cereal. Please note that regular cornflakes do have wheat in them, so check your labels!
- Choose yourmilk: you’ll only need 2 tablespoons of milk, so feel free to use any dairy or non-dairy milk you’d like.
- Add a kick of heat: I like to add just a couple of teaspoons of Cholula to the honey to make it spicier, but feel free to use a spicier hot sauce or add more to taste! You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the spices with the cornflakes for more heat.
Two keys to perfectly crunchy cornflake chicken
Because we’re not frying this chicken, there are two key ways to ensure that your cornflake chicken comes out perfectly crispy and crunchy:
- Use a wire rack. Be sure to place a wire rack on top of your baking sheet. This will not only prevent the chicken from sticking, but it will also allow the chicken to bake nice and crispy on all sides due to the airflow. If you don’t have a wire rack, that’s okay, you can just flip the chicken halfway through baking.
- Spray before baking. Be sure to spray the chicken with cooking spray before you bake it so that it gets nice and golden brown!
How to make cornflakes baked chicken
- Make the cornflake coating. Start by pulsing the cornflakes in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. Transfer them to a bowl and mix in all of the spices.
- Make the egg mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together until well combined.
- Prep your pan. Add a wire rack to a large baking sheet and spray it well with cooking spray.
- Prep yourchicken. Use tongs to dip each chicken thigh in the egg mixture, then into the cornflake mixture until well coated. Place the chicken thighs on top of the wire rack on your baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken. Spray the chicken thighs with cooking spray and bake until nice and crispy.
- Make the honey & serve. When you’re ready to serve, microwave the honey and hot sauce together, then drizzle the hot honey over the chicken or use it as a dip and serve!
What to serve with cornflakes chicken
This easy hot honey baked chicken recipe is delicious as a sandwich with pickles or coleslaw, maybe some cheese and homemade ranch, or you can serve it with the perfect side dish:
Get all of our delicious side dish recipes here!
Storing & freezing tips
- To-store: any leftover hot honey baked chicken can be stored in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, place the chicken on a baking sheet and broil it on high for a couple of minutes until heated through and crispy on the outside.
- to freeze: let the chicken cool completely, then place it in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, I’d recommend heating the chicken in the oven so that it’s nice and crispy.
More delicious chicken recipes
Get all of our chicken recipes here!
I hope you love this amazing crunchy cornflake baked chicken recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Hot Honey Bangin’ Crunchy Cornflake Baked Chicken
Incredible crunchy cornflakes baked chicken tossed with delicious spices and drizzled with hot honey. This easy chicken cornflake recipe comes together with simple ingredients and in under an hour for a dinner you’ll crave!
- For the crunchy cornflake coating:
ground black pepper
- For the chicken:
almond milk (or milk of choice)
boneless skinless chicken thighs
- For the hot honey:
hot sauce (I like cholula)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Add the cornflakes to the bowl of the food processor and pulse until they reach a fine crumb similar to breadcrumbs. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and whisk in the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and salt until well combined.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and almond milk. Set aside.
Line a large baking sheet with an oven safe wire metal rack. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Dip each chicken thigh into the egg mixture, then use a tong to grab each chicken thigh and toss generously into the breadcrumb mixture to completely coat with breadcrumbs. Use tongs to transfer to the wire rack. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
Generously spray the tops of the chicken thighs with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and the temperature reaches 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
Right before serving, make quick hot honey: add honey and hot sauce to a small bowl, microwave for 10-15 seconds. Taste and add more hot sauce to adjust to your liking. Drizzle honey over the chicken before serving or use it as a dip for the chicken.
You can also use chicken breasts or chicken tenders for this recipe, but please be aware that the cooking time will slightly change.
See the full post for storing and freezing instructions.
Servings: 6 servings
serving size: 1 serving (with hot honey)
Saturated fat: 2g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on January 17th, 2022, and republished on March 27th, 2023.