After trying this recipe, I’ve adopted the belief that all vegetables should be roasted with butter and Parmesan and served with a honey mustard dipping sauce. For now, I’ll settle for these carrots, since they’re just that good.
Now that I’ve made and tasted the recipe myself, I fully understand why Caitlin Latessa-Greene, the cook behind @starinfinitefood, adopted TikTok’s Parmesan potato hack for carrots. By cooking the carrots cut-side down on a bed of grated Parmesan and butter, you’re guaranteed to develop the perfect Parmesan crisp on every carrot. That is to say, if you’ve ever been disappointed by mushy, flavorless roasted carrots in the past, this recipe is the antidote.
These Parmesan roasted carrots are super simple to make, to the point where the result almost makes you feel like you’re cheating. It takes a little work and just a few spices — plus Parmesan, of course — to turn carrots into crispy, cheesy, roasted bites of goodness. Dipping or slathering them in a homemade honey mustard sauce (made with Greek yogurt for a bonus protein) really takes them to the next level — and take it from someone who devoured the entire batch while writing this article.
Latessa-Greene recommends topping the carrots with fresh herbs, but I thought the remaining Parmesan crumbs from the pan were the perfect cherry on top. Serve them as a side dish, snack or appetizer that everyone will be obsessed with.
Sold? Here’s how to make TikTok’s crispy Parmesan roasted carrots along with the honey mustard dipping sauce, inspired by Latessa-Greene.
- For the carrots:
2 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra to brush the carrots with
1 pound carrots, halved and cut into two-inch pieces
- For the honey mustard dipping sauce:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the butter in a 9×13 pan, and place the pan in the oven to melt the butter.
- Meanwhile, mix the Parmesan with the salt, oregano, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from the oven, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle the Parmesan mixture evenly over it.
- Place the carrots cut side down in an even layer on top of the Parmesan mixture.
- Brush the tops of the carrots with olive oil, and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While the carrots are cooked, make the honey mustard dipping sauce by mixing the Greek yogurt, honey, mustard and hot sauce until combined.
- When the carrots are tender and golden brown on the top, remove them from the oven.
- Let the carrots cool for a few minutes, then break up the Parmesan crisp. Serve with the sauce on the side for dipping or drizzling on top.
- Side Dishes
- 1-2 servings
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Sources: Image Source: Kaley Rohlinger and Photo Illustration: Ava Cruz